The COVID-19 global pandemic presents a number of concerns for the worldwide drilling industry. As we have done for 80 years, IADC stands ready to assist Members in any way that we can, with a steadfast focus on safety.
We will continue to monitor news out of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) related to the pandemic, as the situation is very fluid and fast-changing with a continuous flow of new information.
For the safety and health of our Members and Staff, IADC will be observing several changes to our operations, including restrictions on group gatherings, non-essential travel and social distancing. These affect several IADC activities as outlined below.
Accreditation & Credentialing
Government-imposed regulations restricting or forbidding group gatherings, restrictions to non-essential travel, and other social-distancing recommendations have a direct impact on training centers and schools that offer in-person, instructor-led training. Programs impacted include WellSharp®, Drilling Industry Training (DIT), and RigPass®, as outlined below.
Certificate Extensions for WellSharp® & Drilling Industry Training (DIT)
- All WellSharp and DIT certificates expiring on or after 17 February 2020 will be extended through 30 June 2020. Any IADC WellSharp or DIT certificate that expired prior to 17 February 2020 shall not be included in this extension.
- QR codes on WellSharp and DIT certificates with the date range between 17 February 2020 through 29 June 2020 will show the new (extended) expiration date of 30 June 2020 when scanned. We recommend trainees/employees are reissued certificates reflecting the new expiration date, as appropriate.
NEW! Distance Learning Option for WellSharp®
Approved WellSharp providers are now offering a new distance learning option – WellSharp Live. This remote instruction is live and instructor-led, and has been designed to maintain the same quality and integrity for which WellSharp is known. This remote learning option is a temporary solution; normal, in-person classes will resume as the only delivery option for WellSharp once normal conditions return.
Distance Learning Exceptions for RigPass, DIT, WellSharp, & Gateway
- Upon approval, on a case-by-case basis, currently accredited RigPass, WellSharp, DIT, & Gateway training providers will be authorized to deliver course content through remote instruction (i.e., distance learning). This exception will expire on 31 July 2020.
- To apply for this exception, fill out and submit (to your IADC Program Coordinator) the following forms:
–For RigPass, DIT, & Gateway, use Form ACD-14C.
–For Introductory-level WellSharp, use Form WSP-14Ci.
–For Upper-level WellSharp, use Form WSP-14C.
- Note: Training providers who have previously been granted a COVID-related exception do not need to complete an additional form to extend the exception. The extension will be granted automatically to the new date.
Note: IADC is a trade association and not a regulator or a governmental body and, as such, is unable to accept any liability or responsibility due to the extension of certificates for the various companies or employees thereof.
IADC is closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and evaluating what impact, if any, it may have on IADC conferences. Please visit specific conference web pages for information related to each conference. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and may reschedule/cancel events, as necessary, in the best interests of attendees, using the World Health Organization as an ongoing information resource.
IADC is closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and evaluating what impact it may have on IADC committee meetings. At this time, in-person meetings are cancelled through 31 March. We will continue to monitor the situation closely to determine the best course of action beyond that time, using the World Health Organization as an ongoing information resource. Please visit specific Committee meeting schedules for the latest cancellation/rescheduling information.